Nuts and washers are common fastenings used in a variety of applications. Cromwell stock a wide range of nuts and washers from brands like Fabory and Qualfast, so you can be assured of quality, all at affordable prices.
Nuts and washers are primarily used with threaded bolts, to secure and tighten fixings. Nuts tighten the fixing, whereas washers are used for several purposes. Firstly to avoid the nut biting into the surface where the bold has been threaded through and secondly to help re-distribute the pressure over a wider surface area.
Nuts and washers are both excellent ways of bolstering the strength and hold of your bolt. Designed to spread the load evenly under stress and vibratory forces, nuts and washers both prevent your bolt from loosening.
Nuts and washers should be used by professionals and DIY enthusiasts alike for a firm holding bolt. They are most commonly used in the construction industry.
• Hexagonal nuts - These nuts are designed for use with either socket wrenches or standard wrenches with a hexagonal shaped fitting.
• Lock nuts - These types of nuts are designed to lock either by themselves or via another component. They are used in applications that require resistance to loosening via vibrations and torque.
• Castle nuts - Castle nuts are typically used for high vibration applications such as fastening wheel bearings. They are positive locking and can be re-used.
• Channel nuts - Channel nuts are used in channel support systems. The grooves lock into the channel when tightened.
• Wing nuts - These types of nut are designed to be fastened securely with the use of fingers.
• Plain washers - Also known as flat washers, these washers feature no locking function and are designed to protect the mating surface from damage due to overtightening.
• Spring washers - These types of washer are designed to absorb shock and resist rotation, by creating a spring force and friction.
• Lock washer - These are designed to lock a bolt in place and prevent it from loosening.
• The application - In certain industries, such as those that deal with extreme forces like vibration and pressure, nuts and washers such as those like lock nits maybe required to combat the effect fo the forces being placed on them during the operation of machinery. For simpler domestic applications items like plain washers and wing nuts may suffice.
• Bolt size - Much like other fastenings ensuring the nut or washer that you select is the right size for the bolt is paramount for achieving the right results.
We want to make it easy for you to shop our range of nuts and washers, so we've outlined some key terms to ensure you find the right product for your needs.
What does BZP mean and why is it beneficial for nuts and washers to have this surface finish?
Most nuts and washers will be manufactured from steel, varying in the grade. In a lot of cases, the surface finish will be listed as BZP, which simply stands for Bright Zinc Plating. By coating the product in zinc, it bolsters the product's longevity, providing superior protection against corrosion and rust.
Do you have to use washers with nuts?
Whilst it is of course not mandatory to do so - nuts will hold a bolt in pace without a washer - it is reccommended for best results to use a washer when using a nut, as this helps to evenly distribute pressure across a larger surface area for a more durable hold.